Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Own Creation - Banana Walnut Upside Down Cake


I made this cake a couple of weeks ago, for the first time. I wanted a cake with a broiled topping, without the fuss. The results were very good, my husband loved it and none went to waste. I think that it would go well with an apple-cinnamon cake batter as well, just substitute chopped apples for the bananas, and add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry ingredients.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed firmly
  • 1/2 cup butter
Mix first three ingredients and spread into the bottom of a 10" parchment-lined cake pan. (The first time I made this, I didn't line the pan and some of the nuts stayed in the pan. I used a silicon baking pan also, but not necessary.)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas ( about 3 large)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream together sugar and butter until light, add eggs and beat 1 min.
Add mashed bananas and vanilla and mix well.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to batter, combining well.
Spread over nut mixture (batter is quite thick) and bake in pre-heated 375 F. oven for 40-45 min.
Loosen from edge of pan and turn out onto cake plate immediately.
Remove parchment and cool for a few minutes.
Cut into squares and serve warm, with ice cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment